What Should I Do If My Dog Gets Into Poison?


dog

All dog owners should know what kinds of substances are poisonous to dogs. Some are obvious, like dangerous chemicals that can harm humans, but some are less obvious such as walnuts or garlic.


While keeping these dangerous items and garbage out of reach of your dog can help you avoid a bad situation, sometimes it’s unavoidable.


In the unfortunate event your dog comes across that poisonous mouse trap you have hidden in the back of the cupboard or the chocolate in the snack drawer, it’s important to know what steps should be taken next.


Acting quickly can save your dog’s life and will keep him/her from having long-term effects. Watch for lethargy, poor appetite, trouble breathing and more serious signs like seizures or collapsing and follow the steps below.


Identify the poison

If you can, you want to know if the poison was eaten, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin and if it was a plant, harmful food or chemical. You should also attempt to determine how much was taken. Do not wait for your dog to start showing physical signs of poisoning, as this could be too late.


Call your veterinarian

Let the veterinary medical professional know everything you can so they can assist you in the best way. Even if your dog is acting normal after getting into something, you should call for medical advice as soon as possible.


If the poisoning occurs after normal hours, call a nearby emergency veterinary clinic. Always talk with a medical professional before trying any at home or store-bought treatments.


Listen to the veterinarian

Veterinarians know how poisons work and which are more serious than others. You might be advised to rush the dog to the nearest open veterinary clinic, induce vomiting at home, bathe the dog (if absorbed through skin) or to call animal poison control.


Induce vomiting if necessary

If getting to the vet isn’t possible or immediate action is required, you may be asked to induce vomiting. Hydrogen peroxide is a good way to induce vomiting but be sure to follow the instructions for the amount and frequency of hydrogen peroxide doses. Be very careful with inducing vomiting in your dog as it can sometimes cause very severe consequences.


If you are concerned about your ability to protect your dog from poison while you are at work, out running errands or away for a long weekend, one of the best things you can do is to have them stay with a professional pet boarder.


At Tailwaggers Country Inn, we provide professional pet boarding and daycare services for your furry friends that will ensure they are safe and healthy when you can’t be with them for any reason.


Your dog will be relaxing in style at our pet resort with all the food, exercise, socialization and relaxing accommodations they would ever need. To learn more about our boarding and daycare options, we ask that you reach out to us today at 1-877-774-DOGS.


Please keep these numbers handy too: ASPCA Poison Control: (888) 426-4435 Pet Poison Hotline: (800) 213-6690